You can share a top-level folder and its content with others. Sharing a folder shares all the files and subfolders within it. Sharing of subfolders is not supported. When you share a folder, you determine who can access the folder and their level of access (Editor or Reader). When done, an email is sent to those users.
To share a folder, perform the following:
- From My Syncplicity, click on files at the top navigation page then click on the files submenu to view a list of your top-level folders.
- Right click on that folder then select Share.
You can also click the show edit mode icon, click the folder then select share from the edit menu bar.
In either case, you see the Share window.
- In the To field, enter the email addresses of the users you wish to access this folder. Group names are also allowed.
- Select Editor or Reader. A Reader can only view the folder and its contents. An Editor can add, edit and delete content. If you are not the owner and have reader permission, you can grant only reader permission to other users.
You must select Editor or Reader regardless of the permission shown.
- If you wish to add text to the email, click the Add a message link.
- Click Share.
The folder is shared and an email is sent to the users you specified.
TIP: If you wish to share the folder and grant a number of users Editor permission and a number of other users Reader permission, share the folder with one group and grant Editor permission then repeat the procedure to share the folder with the other group and grant Reader permission.
You can always add users by repeating the procedure.
Syncplicity allows you to selectively permit participants to re-share folders with others.
As the owner navigate to the Manage Folders page of the sharedfolder on which you want to control the re-sharing.
At the bottom of the page, you can control the re-sharing by either selecting the option to “Allow everyone” or “Restrict sharing” of the current folder. When choosing to “Restrict sharing” you can select specific participants to allow them to re-share the folder.
Sharing to others
- Allow everyone: This default option permits all the participants of the folder to re-share the folder
- Restrict sharing: This option allows you to select which participants are permitted to re-share the folder
Notifications when a folder is re-shared by a participant can be enabled for the owner by selecting the option “Notify me when people are added”.
Note: With large groups of users, selecting the “Notify me when people are added” can result in a large number of email notifications. It is advisable to select this option when smaller groups of users are involved.
Note: The external sharing policies are honored with re-sharing of folders. When the “External User Add Sharing Participants Policy” is set to “Do not allow external users to view participants or invite new participants to share company owned folders” or if the “Allow external users to view participants and invite new participants to share folders” policy is set to “only when external users’ permission is editor” and the participant is external and not an Editor then is it not possible to permit re-sharing for that participant. For more information about external sharing policies read Folder sharing policies.
Later on, you can go back to the shared folder and change user permissions and remove users as follows:
- Open the Share window for a folder then click the Manage tab.
- If there is a long list of users, you can enter text to find a specific user.
- To change permission, click on the permission next to the user’s name.
- To remove a user, go to that user’s line and click the red X.
- When done, click Save.
If you are not an owner and have re-shared the folder with other users, you can only remove those users or change their share permissions.
TIP: To discontinue sharing the folder, delete all users.