As described in Overview of managing your company’s devices, the Syncplicity apps for iPad and iPhone support AirWatch native OS level integration using App Configuration for Enterprise (ACE) platform. App wrapping or SDK integration is not necessary. As an administrator, you can use your AirWatch Add Application wizard to add the Syncplicity app directly from the Apple App Store to the AirWatch console.
This article describes how to add the Syncplicity app to your AirWatch catalog and provides an overview of policy settings.
AirWatch app installation
With AirWatch, you can manage which devices and users can install the Syncplicity app. You also control the app version and upgrades. Your users can install the app from AirWatch Catalog or you can force the download and installation.
To add the Syncplicity app to your catalog, perform the following steps:
- In your AirWatch console, select Apps & Books then select List View.
- Select the Public
- Click Add Application just below the banner.
- In the Add Application wizard, make the following selections then click Next.
Platform: Apple iOS
Source: Search App Store
In the results, select the Syncplicity app (not the Syncplicity for Good app). You are then taken to the next Add Application wizard screen with multiple tabs. The first few fields, including the URL, in the Info tab are filled in for you.
- Enter the rest of the fields in the Info tab as appropriate for your company.
- Click the Assignment tab then determine which smart groups can access the app.
- Click the Deployment tab then determine how to push the app to your users and enter any custom application configuration that you want to send to the app.
- Enable "Make App MDM Managed if User Installed" if you want Syncplicity to be managed when an AirWatch user self-installs the app from the iOS App Store (iOS 9 or later).
- IMPORTANT: Enable "Send Application Configuration" and enter a Configuration Key and Configuration Value as shown above. The default settings for these are "managed" and "true".
- Advanced key/value pair configuration is supported with AirWatch, allowing many policy setting to be overridden for managed users. By overriding policy settings, you can have one set of restrictions for unmanaged devices, and a different set of restrictions for managed devices. Contact Syncplicity for the most recent list of key/value overrides.
You can configure which users can access the app from the AirWatch catalog by adding Smart groups that can access the app. Users are assigned to the apps through user groups that are part of a Smart Group. Refer to the AirWatch console documentation to learn more about user groups and smart groups.
Once the app is added and users are assigned, you can use the AirWatch console to monitor the deployment of the Syncplicity app. For example:
AirWatch app settings
You can use your AirWatch console to manage the devices with the Syncplicity app and other apps that have been added through the AirWatch app catalog.
You can manage the Syncplicity and other apps using device profiles. To access the profiles, click Devices in the left pane then select Profiles > List View. Click on the specific profile name to view passcode settings and various restrictions such as the use of camera, screen capture, and Open in settings. Passcode settings help you to configure the passcode and its complexity for the device from the Passcode tab.
Similarly, you can configure Open in settings from the Restrictions tab and can allow or disable opening of files from managed AirWatch apps to unmanaged apps or from unmanaged apps to managed AirWatch apps.
The following screenshot shows the Profiles view: